Cloaks and Innkeepers/Merchants

Specifically for code or policies you would like to see implemented.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Could we allow people to buy Inn keys (and maybe interact with other Merchants) outside of North Lithmore while cloaked? It would be an immediate boon to mage/blacklisted/shady RP and would reflect the Knights/Reeves/Merchants having a weaker hold over the hinterlands than the capital.

Thoughts?

Taunya

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 pm

If not too tricky, maybe make that based on the law metric?

Geras

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 pm

I was thinking about that, but there's two concerns I have:

1) Lawfullness could end up permanently in the shitter then.

2) It would mean magic is easier when mages are strong and harder when they are weak, which is the opposite of what we want.

Taunya

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:44 pm

Geras wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 pm
2) It would mean magic is easier when mages are strong and harder when they are weak, which is the opposite of what we want.
How's that? Magic reporting is based on piety, not lawfulness.

nemovonfish
Discord Handle: NvF

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm

There are plenty of reasons to buy an inn room with your cloak up other than "I am a mage doing mage things, please give me a key so I may perform magery." And if it was that easy to permanently dump a metric in the shitter, Piety would already be there.

Geras

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:42 pm

By magic I mean mages getting toegether.

galaxgal

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:58 pm

nemovonfish wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm
And if it was that easy to permanently dump a metric in the shitter, Piety would already be there.
To the contrary, the kinds of characters likely to want Piety low are also systematically the ones who have difficulty interacting with Metrics.

Most GL's and nobles do not 'want' any metric low, because it creates inconveniences for them and the subordinates and allies who have more support/subvert sway over them. The incentives for low metrics are generally poor, because they inherently benefit no-one, except for Piety and Lawfulness (which tend to slightly benefit ne'er-do-wells in ways mostly invisible to them), and people locked into iMetric assets for some reason.

Anyway, isn't this discussion backwards? It makes more sense to me that low lawfulness would increase the likelihood of shopkeeps to interact with concealed figures.

In general, there should probably actually be some motive to keep most relations low, because right now there is no real reason to oppose city leaders going "well, we want all metrics kind of tolerably decent, at least".
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Taunya

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:45 pm

galaxgal wrote:
Anyway, isn't this discussion backwards? It makes more sense to me that low lawfulness would increase the likelihood of shopkeeps to interact with concealed figures.
That's what we were discussing.

galaxgal

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:29 pm

Taunya wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:45 pm
galaxgal wrote:
That's what we were discussing.
I inferred what Geras was saying backwards then.

Regardless, I'm for it. There are too few incentives to have a Metric low so the majority of the pbase that participates in the system just ends up raising as many as possible.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Taunya

Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:38 am

I agree it would be nice if things were more balanced with metrics. Trade-offs in both directions.

For example, it might be nice if for every rare restock for a high metric, there was a different one for a low metric.
Likewise, positive and negative effects. For example: low infrastructure costs mv while walking on roads, but gives more things to forage at the same time.

• Information