+1 Prestige Point for Lithmorrans

Ideas that have been discussed, approved, and are awaiting implementation.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

-+[-__-]+-

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:47 pm

As code now distinguishes the "savage" regions with a prestige penalty, I believe it would be prudent and thematically sound to give Lithmorran characters a bonus point to signify their superior origins.

In my experience, the perks of playing a foreign-blooded character tend to outweigh RPing the "stock" race and furthermore, I believe most players are fairly uncomfortable promoting racism even in a game. This leads to fewer reasonable, built-in challenges for characters who are, by the game's theme, considered inferior. So I think giving Lithmorrans this default social boost is a painless way of promoting their top dog status without taking away from the appeal of any other region.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:36 pm

I wonder if that might not be better suited for a small RPXP boost like playing a Freeman rather than a Prestige bonus though. Given the rather limited number of ways to lose Prestige, atm, a permanent bonus would exist outside of their RP behavior. IE having a Lithmorran character does not necessarily mean you act Lithmorran or with Lithmorran values.

But that does raise the question: Socially would a Lithmorran Freeman be seen as more prestigious than a foreign Gentry person?

-+[-__-]+-

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm

You raise valid points. My original suggestion is, admittedly, focusing most on the socio-political arena and the idea that in a xenophobic culture like Lithmore is purported to be, the (NPC/status quo) majority would arguably take Joe Commoner (Lithmorran)'s word over Jane Foreigner; he has the home advantage. In actual game play, this would translate to a foreign-born citizen or guildleaders having to put a little more effort into building their social presence than their pure-blooded neighbor.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:05 pm

-+[-__-]+- wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm
You raise valid points. My original suggestion is, admittedly, focusing most on the socio-political arena and the idea that in a xenophobic culture like Lithmore is purported to be, the (NPC/status quo) majority would arguably take Joe Commoner (Lithmorran)'s word over Jane Foreigner; he has the home advantage. In actual game play, this would translate to a foreign-born citizen or guildleaders having to put a little more effort into building their social presence than their pure-blooded neighbor.
Guildleaders already have to put in a lot of effort to build/keep their social presence - I'd say much more than most citizens, whether foreign or not. They are required to gain the support needed to keep themselves in a good standing and share the acquired influence with those in the guild to support their specific metrics, which means that they are required to RP with everyone who is providing that support on a regular basis, or it will fall off. This means everyone - guildies, regular citizens, nobility. Unless they have been told where the support comes from, they don't know 100%, so ignoring people is a bad idea ICly (not that they don't). And gaining subversion from being a jerk can be harmful to them.

I think, at least as far as GLs are concerned, their IC actions are already heavily measured. (Those entrenched ratings aren't a given - they have to work for them.) And, prestige, as far as I understand, has nothing to do with where they are from - prestige is related to how they are seen at court, right? And, foreign or Lithmorran, being notable at court is a big deal.

Why would a Lithmorran freeman be known at court more than any other freeman? They wouldn't. As far as that is concerned, they would all be on an equal level.

People have to actively pursue prestige. Some care to, some do not, no matter their origins. Since it takes 5 points to move up a rank, I am certain that one point won't do that much in bumping it one way or the other, but it is still something to keep in mind.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

-+[-__-]+-

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:44 pm

I wonder if that might not be better suited for a small RPXP boost like playing a Freeman rather than a Prestige bonus though.
I think these work better as a guild/class booster than a racial modifier.

I also think prestige should be expanded to be a more robust form of social currency so maybe my suggestion as-is is a bit premature.

I am not against the Lithmorran social perk being something else, though. Maybe an additional IP point? It's still increased social clout but not on so dramatic a level given the current calculations for things.

• Information